Fragment of a mosaic floor, with a representation of a stork pecking at a snake. From Ilissos basilica. This Early Christian church, one of the most important basilicas in Athens, was located on the banks of the Ilissos river to the east of the Temple of Olympian Zeus. The mosaic floor came to light in 1916-1917 during the excavations carried out on this monument by the archaeologist and later Director of the Byzantine Museum Georgios Sotiriou. The Museum’s Mosaic Collection includes twelve pieces of mosaic floor from the Ilissos basilica richly decorated with a various range of motifs: birds feeding from flowers, ivy leaves, laurel wreathes, rosettes, grids etc.